Once you learn how to zest a lime, you are equipped with the same skills for zesting any other big citrus fruit. It is actually easier than it seems, you can get started today.
What you will need
- Fresh limes
- Knife or vegetable peeler
- Cutting board
- Clean towel
1. Prepare the limes
- Use running water to wash the limes and remove dirt and pesticides from the peel.
- Pat the limes dry using a clean towel.
2. Use the microplane or grater
- Put the grater or microplane on the cutting board, in a slanting position.
- Grate the outer part of the lime carefully.
- Constantly rotate the lime as you grate to avoid getting to the pith.
- Keep grating until you get as much orange zest as you need.
- Spoon up the orange zest from the cutting board.
3. Use a peeler or knife
- Slide the vegetable peeler or knife on the lime with just the appropriate pressure to take off the peel.
- Carefully rotate the lime as you peel.
- Using a peeler or knife is only applicable for limes that are really big. It will be difficult if the limes are small.
- The peeling method is best for garnishing while the grating method is better for cooking and baking.
- The stronger lime flavour comes from the finer kind of zest (microplane or grating method).